Yamabuki Saaya is a second-year student at Hanasakigawa Girls' High School and the drummer of Poppin'Party. She became good friends with her classmate Kasumi during their high school entrance ceremony, and since then they often eat lunch together.
Saaya is the oldest of three children in her family; she has a younger brother named Jun, and a younger sister named Sana. Saaya's family owns the Yamabuki Bakery, at which she helps out, even during the school term.
Saaya used to play in a girls' band called CHiSPA when she was in middle school, but quit because she didn't want to burden her bandmates and her family due to an incident that happened before a past performance. But thanks to Kasumi, who never gave up on her, and her mother's support, she regained her passion for music and her desire to perform in a band, thus became the last member of Poppin'Party to join.
Saaya has slanted royal-blue eyes and long, curly brown hair worn in a high ponytail, usually tied up in a ribbon. She has spread-out bangs and shoulder-length curled forelocks.
She wears a long pale yellow skirt with a white, frilly off-the-shoulder top.
A kind, empathetic and hardworking person who cares deeply about her friends and family, Saaya often lends an ear to Kasumi and Rimi. She is generally level-headed and easygoing, and is like an 'older sister' to the other girls, always willing to help them out in hard times.
A list of characters Saaya interacts with in the game.
- She is friends with Tomoe because they're both older sisters and drummers, and with Moca due to her being the self-proclaimed number #1 fan of Yamabuki Bakery.
- She is also friends with Hagumi, and has a hard time saying no to her requests (such as helping Hagumi to study).
- Saaya owns a lot of hair scrunchies and collects them as a hobby, even if she doesn't wear all of them.
- She has the same height as Ran, Rinko, and Misaki.
- In the original storyline, she used the Katakana romanization of her name, サアヤ (Saaya), while "exchanging diaries" through the desk she shares with Kasumi.
- As heir to the Yamabuki's Bakery, she knows some of the baking secrets. However, she will not tell you if you'll ask.